The fall season brings cool nights and warm days, crunchy leaves, warm autumn colors, and spiced apple cider. It’s a time to enjoy the changing of the season and snuggle into a crafting routine. Start by making a fall flower centerpiece craft project that brings autumn warmth indoors.
This fall craft project is versatile. You can use several different types of silk flowers and colors, making it easy to change your decor on a whim. Consider making several flower balls for different seasons and have lovely color all year long.
For any craft project, follow common sense guidelines. Keep newspaper handy to protect work surfaces, and a roll of paper towels to quickly mop up spills or dry hands. Read package directions first for craft products you are unfamiliar with. Gather all the craft supplies you will need beforehand so you can spend your time doing the fun stuff.
Fall Flower Centerpiece
Craft supplies needed
- Several bunches silk flowers such as mums (medium to small blooms work best)
- Styrofoam balls in a size of your choice
- Glue gun with low heat setting
- Glue sticks for glue gun
- Wire cutters
- Bowl, basket, or other container to display flowers
- First, firmly press a Styrofoam ball on table to create a flattened end. Be careful not to press too hard or you may damage Styrofoam. This makes the ball more stable so it is easier to glue flowers and leaves. It will also make the ball easier to display.
- Cut several silk flowers from bunch. Cut as close to each flower as possible without cutting off so much stem that the flower easily falls off. Some flowers will have wire stems, requiring wire cutters to remove. Others can be cut with scissors.
- Beginning at top of Styrofoam ball, glue one flower using a glue gun on the low heat setting. Continue gluing flowers around ball, placing them so that no Styrofoam is visible. Leave the flattened end bare.
- Remove several leaves from remaining flower stems. Position them on flattened end of ball until satisfied with coverage. Glue leaves to ball using glue gun.
- Make several fall flower balls in complementary colors. Display by assembling the balls in a container of some type and placing on a table. Your fall flower centerpiece can be easily rearranged as needed.
More ideas for embellishing your fall flower centerpiece
- Paint Styrofoam balls before gluing flowers and leaves.
- Instead of gluing leaves to bottom, just glue more flowers.
- Experiment with different flower patterns.
- Make each ball using only one color flower.
- Add ribbon, lace, or strings of small plastic pearls to flower balls.
- Decorate display container with complementary flowers, ribbon, or lace.
- Paint display container before adding flower balls.
- Add designs to container using stencils or decoupage.
- Glue painted wooden shapes to container.
- Use different sizes of Styrofoam balls and display together.
- Change seasons and use spring blooms or Christmas colors on Styrofoam balls.
Be creative with this versatile fall flower centerpiece. Make enough flower balls to warm every room in the house.
Copyright 2010 Melody Jones
If you love to make crafts, but can’t seem to find time, find your craft supplies, find your budget, or find your way to crafty fulfillment, read Melody Jones’ “The Craft Lover’s Success Guide: Simple Ways to Nurture Your Creativity and Actually Finish Your Projects” available at http://www.mycraftebooks.com. All customer receive a free bonus ebook “Simple Craft Projects to Get Your Started”.
Not only will you learn key steps for finding time, you’ll also learn how to organize your craft supplies and stay organized even if you are a pack rat, how to craft on a budget, ways to find new craft project ideas and inspiration, and resources and ideas for learning new crafts.